Sunday 12 February 2017

Mencap moan

An advertisement for Mencap, on a bus stop in Hook Road, one of a number scattered around Epsom, an advertisement which I find oddly irritating.

Unhelpful, to my mind, to present a handicapped youth as if he was one of the rough sort of youth of my day who liked a bit of a fight after pub of a Friday. Nothing dirty involving knives or bottles, but a fight just the same.

Furthermore, while you might not be a learning disability, you certainly do have one. In my primary school days the jargon was ESN, and that school had three or four of them. No idea what happened to them afterwards.

Oddly, BH, with a stronger background in mental health than I and having seen versions of the same advertisement on television, is not bothered by it at all. She also tells me the disability in this particular case is Down's syndrome, not, I imagine, ever included among the ESN.

Notwithstanding, if I had been a monthly donor to Mencap, I might still have been moved to stop the standing order.

Reference 1: https://www.mencap.org.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment