Sunday 12 February 2017

Powerpoint moan

A new irritation in Powerpoint this morning, testimony to the difficulty of getting spell checkers to get things right, even when said checker is in the charge of the spelling team from the mighty Microsoft.

I have a text slide, of the sort called 'title and content', a title followed by half a dozen or so bullet points. In the first bullet point there are a few words which are detected as being French, which indeed they were. The Powerpoint spell checker then decides that everything that follows must be French too, and underlines in squiggly red nearly all the English words which follow. Very unsightly and somewhat distracting.

Maybe there is some geek out there who know how to deal with this, short of turning the spell checker off altogether, which would be a loss, as my spelling is not that good and I can just about put up with the checker querying the many words in English English which are spelt otherwise in US English. Not that I know how to turn it off altogether - although I might manage in Word.

PS: I remember now that Microsoft used to sell a service which meant that you could phone up one of their geeks with questions of this sort, but I am sure it would be far too expensive for the average private punter; designed for corporations with money to burn. Then there are the online forums which are cheap and effective, if rather tiresome, but I can't see me going to the bother of that one either.

No comments:

Post a Comment