Thursday 30 June 2016

Tree problem

Following the post at reference 1, we have been looking at the largest ash tree at the back of our garden, maybe thirty years old and showing signs of ill health, signs which we had been putting down to grey squirrels.

Now however, we have been alerted to ash die back and so we go to the Forestry Commission web site - which told us a great deal about it - but which did not nail the problem and in any case stopped short of telling us to cut diseased trees down. The way forward appeared to be a file a tree report.

So I get out the ladder and take Cortana up the tree and take lots of photographs, one of which is included left. After this close inspection, I do think that the tree is ill, that it is not just a case of squirrels, but I am still not sure about the illness as not all the symptoms listed for ash die back seem to be there. I have also discovered that taking photographs of bits of trees is quite difficult, with the bit that you think is interesting usually being lost in a clutter of other stuff.

Back to the Forestry Commission web site to file a report, a report which crashed at the very end of a reasonably tedious process. Do it again and the same thing happens. I am now a bit irritated and they do not have the pictures.

Next stop Epsom Council and after a much shorter time than it took me to file the report, I have spoken to someone who assures me that the Council tree man will be in touch. We await developments.

The good news is that the tree is just about small enough for me to take down myself. No hefty payments to tree surgeons indicated.

PS: the Council have now rung back and say that my tree is not important enough for them to offer me any advice. Clearly time to visit TB to take the view there.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/fraxinus-excelsior.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment