Tuesday 7 November 2017

Trios

Back to St. Luke's last week for some trios. Copeland's Vitebsk, Suk's Elegie and Shostakovich's Piano Trio No.2. With the Trio Wanderer on the instruments. All new to me and the first time, I think, that I have ever heard anything by Suk, this despite my owning an ancient Supraphon/Ramco/Artia recording of his Op.27 symphony, named for the angel of death. Which would have fitted well with the tragic tone of this concert.

But to get back to the beginning of this bright, cool day, I had been entertained on the train by the sight of a Muslim girl, with head-dress but very carefully dressed in maybe a dozen or more shades of grey. They might not be allowed to show much flesh, but they can be just as interested in clothes as any girl from the west. Not sure about make-up.

Pulled a Bullingdon off the ramp at Waterloo and pedalled along to Old Street, passing on the way a couple of bicycle cops who had pulled down a delinquent cyclist. Quite right too. As I pulled into the full stand in Golden Lane, someone pulled out, leaving me a slot. And so to the Market Restaurant in Whitecross Street where my bacon sandwich was restored to its former splendour, having been reduced to bacon roll on my last visit. Entertained here by a senior lift engineer lecturing his acolytes, one of whom was actually interested, on the mysteries of repairing drive shaft bearings.

From there to the charity shop, open on this occasion, the place where I bought the book about water. See reference 2, leading to reference 3. A place where I have bought some interesting stuff over the years. On this occasion staffed up by a young lady whom I though might have been from West Africa, a young lady who as well as being good looking, oozed personality, charm and a rather earthy wit. Including allegations of delinquent customers being shoved down into the cellar to expire. I fell for a handsome fat paperback, volume III of the Wallace collection catalog of paintings, the one covering Boucher, Watteau and Pater. I learned that the trustees of this collection, five or six of them, are a rather upper crust bunch, with all bar one sporting a title and with two sporting MC's.

Excellent concert, including a movement from the Dumky Trio by way of an encore, an encore which really got to me for some reason, real lump in the throat stuff. Perhaps the Shostakovich had left me in just the right state to take in the Dumky. But I was unable to work out which movement when I played the whole of the Trio back home. Memory for music clearly not very good.

Refreshment taken at the nearby Wetherspoon's, where there was some discussion of proscenium arches arising from the (badly flawed) programme for 'A woman of no importance' of reference 5, after which I walked back to Berry Street to pick up the Bullingdon to carry me back to Waterloo. Taking a little longer, despite the slightly shorter journey, 18m 36s in against 16m 45s out. But comfortably inside the no extra charge half hour on both legs, so no real harm done.

I had also tweeted the first Canti deck for a while, sticking out of a half completed office block. Last noticed well over a year ago at reference 4.

The snap being of a shiny new dustcart of colour and model new to me, from outside the Wetherspoon's, with a chunk of fifty year old housing estate coming down behind. No less than four large diggers crawling over the pile of rubble. Monstrous beetles on a dung heap.

Reference 1: http://www.triowanderer.fr/.

Reference 2: http://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=reisner.

Reference 3: http://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=sean+connery.

Reference 4: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/wrapping-up.html.

Reference 5: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/wilde-one.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment