Monday 25 September 2017

Herbin

Not the picture by Herbin that I saw and liked at the Opera gallery in New Bond Street.

Slightly surprised that I have never heard of him before. Wikipedia certainly has and bing turns up plenty of images - with the only public one in these islands seemingly in Edinburgh, in their National Gallery. Long way to go and on the computer I like the one shown left much better.

But where is it? What is it called? Bing not much help, but google image search does rather better, telling me that the painting passed through the hands of the people at reference 2 at some point. Described as 'Auguste Herbin. Composition, 1931. Oil on canvas. Sold: € 46,360'. So probably in private hands somewhere and a bit out of my price range.

I also remember talking to the young gallery man, from France, in the basement of the gallery - where they seemed to keep their good stuff - about La Villette, but I forget now how I managed to bring the conversation around to the subject - with the young man being much keener on talking to the young lady at the desk than talking to me. How did I bring him around to Maigret?

Reference 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Herbin.

Reference 2: http://www.kettererkunst.com/.

Group search key: wgb.

No comments:

Post a Comment