Sunday 7 October 2018

A coup

This to report a coup in a St. Luke's (hospice) charity shop in Tavistock. I had gone in to peer at books and DVD's (this household having not yet moved into the world of Netflix), when I happened to notice a rail containing several gents' raincoats, two of which looked quite promising, the larger one described as large, the smaller one as extra large. I try on the larger one, which turns out to fit quite nicely. It is also the proper length for a raincoat, coming down well below my knees.

Furthermore, it is well made, mainly cotton, more or less brand new, a Dannimac made in England, with Dannimac being BH's brand of choice for rain coats back in the early eighties of the last century. I think she must have gone through several of them over the  years. The label says it is medium.

Done for £35, a great deal less than I paid Cordings for my smart but short raincoat, noticed at reference 2.

Being offline at the time, I ask my telephone about Dannimac, a brand which was well known to ebay and which did appear to be for sale new at an outfit called J. D. Williams, but I fail to find a website for Dannimac proper. Back online this morning, Google tells me about an outfit called Simply Be, who will do me a ladies' Dannimac trench coat in polyester for £40. So now quite unclear about the current status of the brand and how much of a coup it was.

But I remain clear that it was better value for money than Cordings.

Reference 1: https://www.stlukes-hospice.org.uk/.

Reference 2: https://psmv2.blogspot.com/2016/01/mainly-schubert-1.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment