Tuesday 3 May 2016

Baffled

Being rather baffled by the almost complete lack of information about the upcoming election of a police and crime commissioner for Surrey, I was moved to cull the notes which follow from the internet. Offered here as a service to those readers who live in Surrey.

I remain baffled by the nature of the post. Is it supposed to be a full-time commitment? Does it come with an office or a staff? What sort of budget does it have? What right of access does it have to the police, or indeed other organs of government? What power does it have? Maybe somebody else will help out on that front - maybe something for our Residents' Association to turn their hand to.

Jamie Goldrick – Independent

https://www.facebook.com/Jamie.Goldrick4PCC/

Experience at the highest level of policing in both strategic and operational roles together with my extensive legal knowledge allows me a unique view of the role of Police and Crime Commissioner. I have worked proudly as a civilian alongside Police Officers of all ranks and dealt with the victims of crime and the perpetrators of crime.

My work on behalf of the community has led to a Chief Constable’s Commendation and a High Sheriff of Surrey Award.

My legal background has been enhanced by experience in accountancy and I believe in fiscal responsibility at every level of law and order provision. There is no room for waste especially when budgets are tight and I guarantee a policy of ‘good housekeeping’ at all times in all departments.

Kevin Hurley – Zero Tolerance Policing

[incumbent]

http://www.surrey-pcc.gov.uk/

In 30 years as a Police Officer, I’ve confronted Anti-Social hooligans, locked up thieves, drug dealers, rapists and child abusers. I’ve balanced the demands of Terrorism against Neighbourhood Policing; in the UK or when working in Iraq. Whether in uniform or as a detective, I know the Police business.

I’ve seen too many victims, their tears and blood; that’s why I loathe criminals. That’s why I became your PCC. I understand police budgets; what works. I do practical delivery. I’ve combined this extensive Police knowledge with my Army Officer training to bring focus and my commercial experience to protect you in Surrey.

I’ve concentrated on getting more enforcement against the bad; a Zero Tolerance Approach, whilst also rehabilitating those offenders who can be redeemed and at the same time improving things for victims.

Camille Juliff – Independent

http://www.camillejuliff.co.uk/

As a truly Independent candidate, I will work for everyone and with everyone, regardless of political bias to deliver the best results for the police service and the people of Surrey without the party-politics.

26 years of relevant experience:  I have worked in the Coroner Service in Surrey Police for 14 years and have considerable experience of investigations and the workings of our police service.

Additionally, I have served in the Army for 12 years as a senior detective in the Special Investigation Branch of the Military Police, including a 2-year tour in Northern Ireland.

My husband Steve, a retired police sergeant, myself and our 4 children, now adults, have lived in Guildford for 29 years.  Our family also includes six teenagers we have fostered over the last five years.

Howard Kaye – Labour

http://swsurreylabour.org.uk/

My name is Howard Kaye and I am honoured to have been selected to be the Labour Party candidate for the Surrey Police and Crime Commissioner role. I am originally from Leeds but I have lived in Farnham (Surrey) for the past 12 years, I am 53 and currently I am employed as a Train Driver based at Kings Cross, London.

Coming from a different background to the professional police and political candidates, I will bring real life experience, knowledge and perspective to the role of the Surrey Police and Crime Commissioner.

My immediate priorities if I get elected are:

To ensure accountability, leadership and stability within the Surrey police chain of command, I therefore commit that my first action on being elected would be to appoint a permanent Surrey Chief Constable with the necessary skill sets.

I will work to formulate proposals to protect Surrey residents from the emerging threat of internet crime. I will ensure that the review into policing, recommended by The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), into the failings by Surrey Police of an online child grooming case are implemented.

To get the best policing for the residents of Surrey requires adequate funding; I will fight any reduction in budgets that affect the policing of Surrey. I will halt the continual downgrading of our police service within Surrey; the closures of police stations and centralisation of policing resources do not benefit the vast majority of Surrey residents. The presence of uniformed officers within our local communities needs reinvigorating. I will ensure that privatisation of the policing services within Surrey is not on the agenda.

Paul Kennedy – Liberal Democrat

http://www.libdems.org.uk/paul_kennedy

Paul Kennedy lives in Bookham and is a former barrister, accountant and actuary with 30 years’ professional experience working in both private and public sectors.

Paul has a strong background in criminal law and financial management and scrutiny. For ten years he has provided strategic direction and oversight to other organisations in the public sector. As a civilian, Paul is well qualified to represent the people of Surrey and hold Surrey’s police to account.

Paul believes the people of Surrey have been let down by the current ‘zero tolerance’ PCC and by the Conservative-run Government and County Council. While celebrating ‘another really good year’ in his annual report, Surrey’s PCC privately started taking steps to sack his Chief Constable for a ‘litany of failures’ and a ‘culture of blame’. This followed a series of ‘inadequate’ ratings for failing to safeguard rape victims, vulnerable children and adults. The complacent Conservatives have no answers: many council services have been rated ‘inadequate’ - they can’t even fix the potholes.

Paul said: “PCCs concentrate a lot of power in one individual, and when things go wrong this can seriously undermine the Chief Constable and the force. But we’re stuck with PCCs as long as the Conservatives are in power. That’s why I’m offering a sensible, balanced, community-based alternative to Surrey’s failed ‘zero tolerance’ approach. I will focus on what actually works to cut crime like restorative justice, better treatment for those with drug and mental health issues, and bringing back community policing.

Paul added: ”I will work with the police and other agencies to help them address and anticipate problems, fight crime and ensure proper protection for victims. I will be fiercely independent of government, demand proper funding, and give a fair, open and balanced report back to the people of Surrey.”

David Munro – Conservative

http://www.david4surrey.org.uk/

David has been active in Surrey public affairs for twenty years and has occupied senior positions at Surrey County Council, including being responsible for transport, environment and adult social services. He recently stepped down at the end of a two-year spell as Chairman of the County Council.

He represents a Farnham division as a county councillor but has pledged to resign as a councillor if elected Surrey's Police and Crime Commissioner in the May elections, as he believes that being PCC is a full time job.

David has been involved in a wide number of community and voluntary activities, most recently as a member of the Guildford Cathedral 'Make Your Mark' campaign to raise £7m for urgent repairs and renovations, leading the Surrey Civil Military Partnership Board which has successfully raised the armed service's profile in the county, and is an Ambassador of the Surrey Community Foundation, one of Surrey's most significant grant-giving charities. He has also been involved in youth organisations and been a school governor for four different schools, currently the Abbey Special School in Farnham and a trustee of the Gordon's School in Chobham.

Away from county public affairs he is Treasurer of a national classical music charity which gives grants to promising young singers, and is part-time Director of a computer software company, Pioneer Technology Ltd.

David started working life as an Army officer (Royal Engineers), reaching the rank of Major, and then moved to computer marketing and helping companies to win business from the Ministry of Defence.

He has lived just South of Farnham since 1987 and, where time permits, goes bell-ringing and cycling.

Julia Searle – UKIP

http://www.ukipsurrey.co.uk/node/138

'I will pursue your priorities for better policing in Surrey', Julia Searle.
I am standing as UKIP’s PCC candidate because I believe that our police force should be held to account by someone who has not been part of the police establishment.

I will use my experience creating and running two successful businesses to be a strong voice for the people of Surrey, so they get the better policing they deserve.

My core business is concerned with leadership, business strategy, team communication and accountability. My clients would say that I am a ‘tough cookie’ but when difficult questions need to be asked I ask them, a key quality for a Police & Crime Commissioner.

Unfortunately, Surrey Police is failing some victims of crime and not doing enough to protect the most vulnerable in our society. I have first hand experience of this, having seen an elderly aunt who was the victim of fraud let down when the fraudster was not charged.

Worryingly Surrey Police was less efficient in 2015 than it was in 2014 and has been told to take urgent action to improve its effectiveness. This calls into question the suitability of the current PCC to serve for another four years and underlines the need for change.

Reference 1: thoughts on and around last time: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=commissioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment