Sunday 8 May 2016

Lies

I was in error when I reported the arrival of a horse at reference 1. The road in question was near the Epsom Coaches headquarters, but was at the top of Felstead Road not Roy Richmond Way. Horse still there a couple of days ago.

While the camera demonstrates a quite different sort of error. The error which says that the camera never lies, when to my mind it always does.

So the horse looks much smaller in this picture than it did in real life, presumably faithfully reflecting the size of the image on the array which serves for a film in a telephone. Whereas the brain does much better with its film, aka its retina, adjusting the size of something that we can see to according its importance to us. At least to some extent. So if I am conscious of a horse ten feet away, then it looks much bigger to me than it does to my camera. This particular horse was only about six feet away, with me hiding behind a post so as not to annoy it - or its owners, sunning themselves not so far away.

Perhaps this is going to be the next big thing from Apple - as I should think that adjusting the size of objects in an image in a smooth way is now well within the capability of modern computer software.

PS: I need to think about the preservation of lines of sight. If one monkeys with the size of things, what happens to them?

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/progress-report.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment