Sunday 15 May 2016

Tartt failure

Have now had a go at the goldfinch noticed at reference 1, reading maybe a dozen of Donna Tartt's 864 pages, noting on the way that, in the opinion of the 'Daily Mail', the book 'really does grip from the first page'. Another titbit that I had not noticed when buying the book was that it was the No.1 international best seller, shortlisted for the Bailey's Women's Prize for Fiction 2014. A prize I had not come across before, but seemingly in the gift of the people that sell chocolate flavoured sherry. See reference 2.

These accolades notwithstanding, I could not get underway. I thought I was after about half a dozen pages, I thought that I was motoring, but stalled again a few pages later. Don't know what is wrong with it or with me, but life is far too short these days to find out. Back to Rambaud instead, of whom more in due course.

I don't suppose the junk shop on Garrett Lane does refunds, so the book now on its way to the big skip set aside for such purposes outside the outsize Sainsbury's at Kiln Lane. A Tier 1 shop with Tier 1 facilities, excepting here the piggy bank machine on which they charge 7% commission. Not Tier 1 to my mind at all. See reference 3.

PS: not a complete waste of space as I have learned that the painter of the goldfinch, Carel Fabritius, died in the explosion in Delft which Vermeer carefully avoided a few years later when he painted his view of the town.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/goldfinch.html.

Reference 2: http://www.womensprizeforfiction.co.uk/.

Reference 3: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/piggy-bank-machines.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment