Thursday 10 November 2016

Broken camera

About ten days ago, at reference 1, I mentioned dropping my telephone and breaking its screen. There was clearly some life inside, but the screen was broken and quite unresponsive. I feared the worst.

I thought about taking it to one of the kiosks which does telephones - there is one at the entrance to the Costcutter in what used to be Epsom Post Office, now relegated to the back.

I then asked google and he came up with all kinds of people offering to do a wonderful job for me.

But then I thought that I would take it into our local branch of O2, from whom I bought it. It turns out that they have a repair service and that they were happy to take it in and send it off for me. All very efficient with text messages keeping me informed of progress. I accepted what I thought was a very reasonable offer of about £125 and two or three days later the telephone was back in the shop, mended. Evidence of restored camera capability left - indoors, after dark too.

In the meantime, I had reactivated its predecessor, so there was no great loss of service, learning along the way that some of the old features were quite good, perhaps better for me than their more sophisticated replacements! Also that the Microsoft arrangements for synchronising & recovering your data are quite good, with not much being lost at all.

So a happy O2 customer.

PS: also along the way, I seemed to have turned on uploading all my snaps to OneDrive, which is certainly convenient, but which may burn through my data allowance, snaps coming in at several megabytes a time, several times a day. We shall see - and hopefully I will remember to check the meter from time to time.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/trolley-56.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment