Monday 2 January 2017

Cranes

I notice cranes from time to time, particularly when they are particularly large, but today the interest is different.

One sometimes comes across expressions, idioms, which translate. So honeymoon means roughly the same in French as it does in English, despite their words for both honey and moon being quite different from ours.

Then today, browsing in my Larousse from Tooting, I thought I had come across another example, the crane, being both a sort of tall bird and a contraption used for lifting things, perhaps on a dockside or on a building site, with the French word 'grue' having the same pair of meanings. But checking in OED, I find that both cranes and grues come from a northern European word sometimes spelled 'krano', so not like honeymoon at all. With some languages taking the 'kr' to 'tr', while others take it to the French 'gr'. And while we go for 'cr'.

PS: I learn in the margins, that in this country, cranes were considered good eating and so eaten out of existence, while they are still common on the mainland.

No comments:

Post a Comment