Friday 30 June 2017

A new departure

Finding my three year old HP Pavilion laptop a little slow, I was casting around for something new, when the outfit at reference 1 was drawn to my attention, people who sell recycled & cleaned up corporate machinery.

So I settled for an HP Elitebook laptop, no longer listed by HP and maybe five years old, but a much more substantial affair than the Pavilion laptop. With this secondhand Elitebook being about the same price as a new Pavilion.

Delivered right on schedule within a couple of working days.

It came with Windows 10 Home Edition loaded and it took me maybe half a day to apply Windows 10 updates, Defender updates and to install Office - this last being at no extra charge, with my being an Office 365 subscriber.

Having initially thought to stick with Chrome, decided to give MS Edge a go.

Not doing this sort of thing very often, a certain amount of pain along the way and I was tired when I had finished for the day. But three days later, entirely happy with the new-to-me machine, with Edge, with Bing and with Bing maps (these last seeming to come with the full OS kit). Sound much better than that on the Pavilion.

Only two complaints. First, rather a lot of MS advertising. I don't mind this in the form of email, but I do mind it when it is in the form of pop-ups. Maybe I will get around to finding out how to stop it. And second, I would like to get hold of a one or two page guide to how OneDrive synchronisation works, a guide which would hopefully make the various warning messages a little less scary.

Reference 1: http://www.tier1online.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment