Thursday 1 June 2017

Not cheese

I had designated one day last week for a visit to Borough Market, having run out of proper cheese, but in the event I decided that it was too hot to travel all the way into London and settled instead for wine and sausage at Tooting.

Even so, it was a hot old walk from Earlsfield to Tooting, so decided that wine first was the way forward. The wine in question being a Muscadet from the ten man co-operative at reference 1. A five year old wine, rather older than my usual tipple, Villa Maria 2016 Sauvignon Blanc, as sold by all good Wetherspoons. We wondered about how a ten man co-operative works - it must certainly involve a fair bit of give & take and forbearance. Does it really involve cosy dinners out among the vines? If we ever achieve my ambition of going back to Les Sables D'Olonne, with this place just outside Nantes, more on less on the way, I could visit and maybe find out.

From there just a short step to Maciek, noticed on various occasions, for example at reference 2, but usually misspelt as Maciak. On this occasion they could offer me the best looking kabanosy I have seen for a while, orange-brown rather than crimson-brown, maybe half an inch thick. And they turned out to be very good indeed, succulent rather than dry, and excellent value at £3.50 or so for half a dozen or more. The only catch being that they do seem to change from visit to visit, so one could not be sure of getting the good stuff. And the English of the shop girl was far too feeble for me to interrogate her on the point. Just about good enough to laugh when I suggested that the large gooey cakes on offer looked as if they contained plenty of sugar, along with all the other confectioners' goo. Probably rather good, but I did not think I would be able to get one home in one piece and I did not happen to have a fork on me to eat it on the bench outside the library next door, in any event occupied by a large person with bags and, probably, problems.

Onto Wetherspoons to check the library there, while I checked out their Villa Maria, to be rewarded with a celebration of Darling Judi, put together by a score or so of people who knew her well. People like Trevor Nunn and Bill Nighy. A gift to mark her seventieth birthday. Well worth picking up, if only to look at the pictures on the train home.

While at Earlsfield I failed to see any aeroplanes at all.

As well as pictures of Judi, various interesting young ladies on the train home, in the flesh as it were, who put me in mind, for some reason or other, of an attractive young blonde with whom I used to work, more than forty years ago now, who caused much tutting among the older ladies in her vicinity by declining to shave her legs in the summer, considered de rigueur at that time, despite both women's liberation and Bretécher having been invented for some years.

Reference 1: http://www.vigneronsdupallet.com/.

Reference 2: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/picture.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment