Thursday 4 August 2016

Polite cyclist

I am pleased to be able to report coming across a polite cyclist this morning.

He appeared when I was about to cross Abbots Avenue where it joins Horton Lane at a roundabout. I waited for him to go past, while he ground to a halt and signed for me to cross, telling me that I was welcome when I thanked him - a boy of primary age. From which it appears that some of the ladies doing cycling proficiency at schools know their stuff after all. Or perhaps he had polite parents. Or perhaps both. On the other hand, neither hard hat nor lycra was to be seen.

Unlike the cycling proficiency lady I came across a little while ago who was very unsound on the subject of bicycle bells. On which subject, it occurs to me that a simple way around the absence of bells would be to arrange that all bicycle wheels made an audible buzz when they turned, an audible buzz which could not easily be removed by teenagers seeking to impress or be different. It should be easy enough to compel what must be the very modest number of bicycle wheel manufacturers to include such a device in every axle destined for sale in the UK (or perhaps just England these days) - especially now that we are to leave the EU, we can make our own rules and no longer have to wait on their labyrinthine goings on in such matters. Red tape for England and St. George!

PS: it took me a while to find my post about the lady who was unsound - but finding plenty of others posts about the absence of bicycle bells on the way. It would probably have been quicker had I been systematic rather than impulsive and impatient.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/basement-1.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment