Wednesday 14 September 2016

Wheelbarrow tyre

Doing a bit of work in the drive, I thought to blow up the tyre on the wheel of the barrow, which seemed a bit soft. The tyre said not more than 30psi, so I took it up to 25psi whereupon it burst, a very neat star burst to the inner tube and a slightly less neat star burst to the tyre proper. Doing something temporarily alarming to my right ear, all this happening in an enclosed space. Mental note not to pump up tyres in the garage.

Down to the the East Street tyre operation on Monday afternoon, where they were just out of wheelbarrow tyres & tubes and would sir like to call back the following afternoon. They told me that the old tyre was very worn & perished, which accounted for the low pressure burst.

Picked it up this morning, all fitted and inflated to 25psi, which they said was proper despite the tyre saying it was good for 50psi. £25 for this higher grade tyre and tube. When I find now that £40 would have got me a whole new barrow from Amazon. But I have saved £15, the waiting time, the bother of assembling a flat pack and the bother of disposing of the old one. And I have got a higher grade tyre. Not to mention saving the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment