Monday 12 September 2016

Missing reference

Having been both irritated and puzzled by my failure to find reference 1 at reference 1, I have now got to the bottom of the matter.

The breakthrough came when I realised that it would be easy enough to find out when the report about the third runway came out, and then work forward in the blog from there.

A few seconds to find out that the report was published some time in July of last year. I did not find an actual date at this point, there not seeming to be one in the report itself.

Then two or three minutes to whiz through the July edition of the blog to run the post in question down on the 2nd of July - at the very beginning of the month but the very end of the archive edition. See reference 2.

Persisting, it took rather longer to find the actual day of publication, but eventually I got to a BBC report which gave it as 1st July, the day before my post.

I think my key failing earlier in the day was to look for 'inquiry' and 'enquiry'. The word 'commission' would, as it turns out, have done the trick, but I had passed up on that option on the grounds that it was too pompous. One did not have commissions for this sort of thing.

I think that I did not think of dates because blog search is not very good at dates - in fact I don't think it does them at all, although I have not looked very hard.

But blog search certainly did not know that 'commission' could be a near synonym for 'inquiry' - and even if it did synonyms at all, this particular connection is not that good. Would google have done any better? Asking it for 'psmv2 inquiry heathrow' turns up December 2015 - with the trouble with that being that it gives you the whole month - without the option of being able to search within month. At which point I give up.

Perhaps one should take comfort in the fact that searching is not perfect. There is still somewhere to hide.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/collectives.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/in-news.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment