Thursday 3 May 2018

New phone

Having moaned about the telephone's failure to hold its focus for some weeks, finally took it to O2 to see if it could be mended about a month ago, as noticed at reference 2. After a few days I had a very modest estimate for repair, which I accepted.

Then a week or so ago, they told me that they had not been able to repair but they could replace. Then yesterday I picked up the replacement, a brand new Lumia 950. I celebrate by buying the poshest bottle of wine I have bought for years, even posher than that at reference 1, although from the same store, that is to say Waitrose. A wine which is no less than fourteen years or so old and on which I shall report in due course.

Calendar works more or less at once. Address book works more or less at once. And then I am reminded that the camera on this phone (a 950) is a lot fancier than the one on its predecessor (a 630).

OneDrive goes into action. Much clicking and whirring. All kinds of pictures appear on the telephone which I recognise, but which I was not expecting. But the pictures of the bottle do not appear on the PC.

Eventually, this morning, I turn up some setting which tells the telephone that I want it to move pictures to the PC. Which it then does. And with part of the fanciness mentioned above being that this snap moves around a little on the screen while Windows 10 decides what will make the perfect snap.

But OneNote fails to go into action. None of my notes from the old 950 have turned up on the new 950. The interface does not seem to include a delete button. The filing arrangements used by OneNote remain a closed book. But give it a few days; maybe a bit of modest use will kick it into life.

And a few days after that OneDrive should have settled down and I might attempt to sort out all the unwanted pictures.

PS: I learned in the course of this visit to the O2 shop in Epsom, that a pecking order operates. If you are staff, you are allowed to stand around chatting with your friends. While if you are agency, you have to talk to customers. And only if you get really stuck will staff deign to help you out. That said, give them credit for honouring their original estimate, even though something had clearly gone wrong.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/nose.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/sick-bay.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment