Thursday 31 May 2018

Kabanos

Street View
For probably more than the last year, I have been walking Ewell Village High Street four or five times a week, the Horton Clockwise being presently off. Not altogether sure why, I used to like the hedgerows and relative quiet. And this is what you had on the western side of the Bourne Hall end, with the left hand part being a dentist which did not make it to opening day. No change over the period.

Until today when we have a Polish grocer, called, I think, Polish Taste. It turned out to have the same sort of stock, but nothing like as much of it, as the Maciek of Mitcham Road in Tooting, a place which I owe a visit as their kabanos are sometimes very good. While here, they did not have proper, full size kabanos at all, although the young lady assured me that the ones snapped below involved neither cheese nor excessive spice. And she said that a sort of veal sausage was the nearest she could do to proper kabanos.

Sausages
At least it had the merit of coming in waxed paper rather than a plastic bag. But the demerit of my being very unsure now which unit in the block the shop had taken. It was only single fronted so did they divide the left hand part or did one of the two right hand shops go down? Furthermore, the young lady said she had been open a week, so it has taken me that long to notice. All very annoying.

I took some of each of sausage for luncheon, with brown bread. The veal sausage was rather like a French garlic sausage, entirely eatable but nothing like as good, to my mind, as a proper kabanos. Which was about the story with the improper kabanos. Spice levels satisfactory, but too much outside and not enough inside.

One way or another they did not serve to get the brain cells spinning, and I was unable to work out why they might be drilling test holes in the forecourt of Ewell West railway station. I did not think to ask, not did I think to ask how far down they found the chalk, something I always like to know, our being pretty much on the boundary between the chalk and the London clay.

Or consulting my geological map for once in a while and being pedantic, the station is actually on LMB, otherwise the Lambeth Group (Woolwich and Reading Beds), clay, mottled in part with beds of sand and shelly clay.  Then, to the west, we have a thin band of T, otherwise the Thanet sand formation. Then a bit further to the west, we have the start of the thick bed of UCk, otherwise upper chalk, with flints. Bearing in mind that the geological borders in this part of town are very fractal, otherwise crooked.

PS: I could also have bought Polish eggs. At least eggs in Polish egg boxes - so perhaps they really are superior Polish eggs from Polish woodland raised chickens, feeding the natural way on beech mast and acorns.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.com/2017/06/not-cheese.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment