Thursday 12 July 2018

Carex deceased

About this time last year, I noticed at reference 1 a fine carex pendula growing in West Street, where we now stay, having moved from the other side of the tracks.

Snap 1
So a couple of days ago, I went back to see how it was getting on. I failed to find it, but I did find a couple which had been given a short haircut, probably not many weeks ago. Around the large bush, just beyond the steps just beyond the blue car in snap 1 above.

Back to reference 1, where the steps were not quite the same and the large bush was missing. So wrong carex pendula.

Back to West Street and I couldn't work it out at all. And couldn't turn up reference 1 on my telephone in the sun.

Back to cottage to take a snap of the-clicked-to-enlarge-version-of-the snap at reference 1 on my laptop, so that I could get it on my telephone. Usual small prize for anyone who works out how many layers of image processing are involved here.

Snap 2
Resulting in snap 2 above. Not as good as looking at the original on the laptop, but much better than downloading the original from blogger back onto the laptop. Don't see why this last should be different from looking at the original in blogger, but it is. And at least I can now take the snap into the street and try and work out what going on. Which took me much longer than it ought to have done: all this heat is clearly getting to the brain.

Eventually I work out that the carex pendula of snap 2 was where there is now new parking spaces, cut into the hill in front of the house to the left of that of the blue car of snap 1. West Street is narrow, and as in many old towns (Brading was an important town during the Middle Ages), parking generally is at a premium. Not helped in this case by being built into the side of the hill above what was the harbour and which is now a mixture of marsh and housing estate. One of which is contains the house on the wrong side of the tracks, mentioned above.

PS 1: I nearly failed in a short quest to find out whether Brading was one of the rotten boroughs abolished by the Reform Act of 1832. Completely failed at the fancy website operated by the British Library at reference 2, which seemed to think I was interested in votes for women. So not yet near being a match for its US competitor at reference 3, which did turn up a copy of the Reform Act, a copy which I could read and search online, courtesy of the University of Wisconsin. As it turned out, Brading did not appear to feature either in the list of rotten boroughs which were knocked out altogether or in the list of over-ripe boroughs which were cut down to size. But I did discover that Wootton Bassett (now Royal, a compensation prize for losing their air base) was rotten and that Lyme Regis was over-ripe, two old towns that I know well. Although probably not as old as Brading.

PS 2: DPLA lose a few marks for getting muddled up between my Reform Act and something called the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act, which attracts a catalogue number of 1832.

PS 3: Google continues to confuse Brading with branding - even though it knows that I am presently in Brading. So not as clever as I had thought.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.com/2017/07/carex-pendula.html.

Reference 2: https://www.bl.uk/.

Reference 3: https://dp.la/.

Reference 4: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/mb. These people get into the act too, somewhere along the line. I am sure I have come across them before.

Reference 5: http://psmv3.blogspot.com/2017/11/music-identification.html. A few hours later: I couldn't rest easy until I had run them down. Just a chance meeting, nothing greatly significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment