Tuesday 24 July 2018

YouGov

This morning YouGov were interested in my awareness of certain - maybe twenty or thirty of them - brands of confectionary. Maybe half of which I had heard of.

They seem to think that I spend my life worrying about these brands. That I talk to my friends and relations about them, that I remember seeing advertisements for them. With the result that I clicked through most of the survey. But they have got a small amount of information from me: that I have not heard of lots of obscure brands (one of which presumably paid for this particular survey), that I have not been either annoyed or entertained by advertisements from any of them.

Quite a lot of the surveys they ask me to do are like this. While they relatively rarely ask for my views about important issues of the day. Like the nature of the customs controls on fruit and vegetables from Spain after Brexit. Or why it is that strange MPs from Eton manages to clock up so much air time. Ditto Clooney.

On which thought I go on to check at Wikipedia, which tells me that 'Rees-Mogg was born in Hammersmith, London and educated at Eton College. He then studied History at Trinity College, Oxford, and was President of the Oxford University Conservative Association. He worked in the City ... then co-founded a hedge fund management business, Somerset Capital Management LLP. Rees-Mogg has amassed a significant fortune: in 2016, he and his wife had a combined net worth estimated at more than £100 million. Moving into politics ... being elected as the MP for North East Somerset in 2010 … Within the Conservative Party, he joined the traditionalist and socially conservative Cornerstone Group; his views on social issues are influenced by his adherence to Roman Catholicism'.

So despite being odd, he is also clever and will be able to afford to get his fruit and vegetables helicoptered in if it all goes pear shaped. Or if things really get bad, shove of to some tropical tax haven. No probs for the upper classes. I associate to the wheat growing landowners of Ireland during the potato growing famine.

No comments:

Post a Comment