Thursday 12 October 2017

Carducci

Bright, cool day. Took a Bullingdon off the pole position at the top of the ramp. Chap sitting on stand 4 smoking an interesting looking rollup, the second time I have seen such a thing in as many weeks. What is the world coming to.

Easy run to Golden Lane, passing two old style flat bed lorries, one loaded with rebars. Waterloo Station 3, Waterloo to Roscoe Street, St. Luke's, 18m 57s, so 17s better than last time, noticed at reference 5. Large Waitrose trolley, just waiting to be wheeled off to the Waitrose towards the Barbican Centre end of Whitecross Street, but I left it for later, and in the event did not make it back.

But I did make it to the Market Restaurant, busy with lift engineers on their break. For once in a while they had run out of crusty bread, but the alternative bacon roll turned out to be fine. I may even choose it on another occasion.

At St. Luke's, we had the Carducci Quartet, last heard nearly a year ago and noticed at reference 1, giving us Beethoven Op.95 and Shostakovich  Quartet No.4, Op.83. Op.95 a good choice for lunchtime, also serving to balance the good but moody Op.83, which was probably not new to me, but was certainly not familiar. A fine concert.

Also unusual in that the viola player, Eoin Schmidt-Martin, did a much better job of dealing with silly questions from the mistress of ceremonies than is common. I was told that his accent suggested Cork, internationalised.

Afterwards, pedaled down Moorgate and across the river to a tourist filled Borough Market. Roscoe Street, St. Luke's to Hop Exchange, The Borough, 10m 32s. Where, for some reason, I got really quite irritated in my usual cheese shop by having to wait a couple of minutes while cheese buffs faffed around with their purchases. More precious, but almost as irritating as the same sort of waiting at what used to be the cheese counter at Waitrose in Epsom if you got behind an older lady buying small amounts of what seemed like large numbers of delicatessen items. Perhaps I needed my lunch, liquid or otherwise.

So tubed down to Wetherspoon's at Tooting to attend to lunch, where I was interested to see a young lady use the selfie feature on her telephone as a make-up mirror. Not something that I would have thought of doing.

On the bus back to Earlsfield, I used my license as the owner of a nearly one year old granddaughter to coo at a very cute little girl in a pram, maybe half that age. Mother, as is usual in such cases, suitably gratified.

On the platform at Earlsfield, I should have scored a few twos, but actually only managed some ones. Maybe I had had too much lunch to find the sweet spot on the platform. But there was a very impressive super jumbo, flying lower and further south than is usual. Just scraped a two as my train came in.

Very shiny new taxi at Epsom, black cab variety, whose proud owner told me it was just a few days old. A lot more room in the back than in the regular black cab. Inter alia, much more convenient for wheelchairs. I don't think it was one of the new battery-enhanced Metrocabs or the driver would have said, even though it looks right at reference 4. Must look out for him on the stand at Epsom.

PS: note new style St. Luke's programme. A multi-page effort on regular paper, rather than the two sides of shiny A4 we used to get.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/st-john.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/carducci.html. Just a week or so before the occasion noticed above. As it happens, a very similar programme to that noticed here.

Reference 3: http://www.carducciquartet.com/.

Reference 4: https://metrocab.com/.

Reference 5: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/not-much-chopin.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment