Sunday 22 October 2017

Stuffing

We finished off the white pudding noticed at reference 1 today, it serving instead of stuffing for the lunchtime roast chicken. Sliced as before but just baked in an enamel pie dish on a lower shelf for around 35 minutes. Not browned, but entirely satisfactory and very much like one of the richer stuffings suggested by cooking programmes on television at Christmas, in a way that the Slomers offering would not have been.

Doing these proceedings I remembered about the Irish butcher from whom I used occasionally to buy beef and where I first discovered white puddings. A small, old fashioned shop, somewhere very near a railway bridge, somewhere near the Camden Town end of Camden Road, a road up which I used to cycle on my way home to Wood Green and beyond - our moving several times while staying in that general area. Very good for Cypriot flavoured food, but very bad for white puddings. While this place was conveniently on the right side, on the left hand side that is, of a road which was usually busy, often dark and sometimes wet when I was on it.

I imagine that the butcher has long gone, but google StreetView failed to turn up anywhere at all likely looking. Maybe my memory has got it wrong again.

In fairness, I ought to say that while Wood Green was good for Cypriot flavoured food, the little parade by Harringey West railway station included another small butcher, one who knew all about cutting joints to fit into Baby Belling cookers and who taught us about the merits of top rib of beef. Fairly readily available at that time, but now only available, in the Home Counties anyway, from fancy butchers in places like Belgravia and Islington. I think that this butcher may well have been from Cyprus rather than Ireland, in any event certainly not a native English speaker. Also long gone.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/groats.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment