Friday 22 July 2016

Crumpled horns

About this time last year I noticed some cows with crumpled horns, up on Bembridge Down, roughly between Culver Down and Yaverland.

I can now report that they are still there, with quite a lot of them with sucking calves - for which I feel sure there is a proper agricultural term, but neither I nor google can turn it up. I stood by the fence for a while, long enough for a couple of them to get inquisitive enough to wander over, with this one being very patient while I took her photograph, even if the results were not that good.

I think also I have the answer to the question about why these cows still have horns. The land is owned by the National Trust and part of the land management arrangement that they have with their tenants is that there should be proper country cows, rather than the black and white machines which pass for stock in places which make the milk sold in places like Waitrose and Tesco. Proper country cows means, inter alia, proper horns. With at least 10% of them crumpled. This is what the members of the National Trust expect to see when they visit the country.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/cows-and-other-livestock.html.

Group search key: bmb.

No comments:

Post a Comment