Wednesday 6 July 2016

Street scene 1

The memorial flowers on the roundabout at 51.341985, -0.267016 on Longmead Road have just had one of their periodic refurbishments. The place, I think, where a young man crashed to his death one night. Some years ago now.

The place also where a former next door neighbour of ours, former mayor and once, I believe a mill girl from Lancashire, crashed her car, leaving a scar on the brick wall which can still be seen today. She, unlike the young man, was unscathed.

Sad to report, one of two cases that I know of, of a once respectable & decent person refusing to give up driving when they should. In mitigation, it might be said that both of these people were very old and neither of them had suitable relatives on hand to force the issue. It is asking a lot of neighbours or doctors to do such a thing - although I think that now, fully retired and somewhat wiser, I would have done something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment