Tuesday 19 July 2016

Graves 2

Another fad from Brading graveyard. More, I suspect, an expression of wealth than of grief, unlike that at Graves 1.

But a fad which gave me cause, while its image was uploading, to wonder about the size of the image. The main camera in the telephone is described as being 8mp, which I assume means 8 million pixels, with this particular image coming in at 7.86mb, at the top end of a range which starts at around 4mb.

The fact that the size varies suggests that some kind of compression is going on, which is what I would expect, considering the elaborate compression which I have only just been reading about in the world of MPEG and JPEG. But the fact that we are left with about as many pixels as bytes is a puzzle, with my simple equivalence of pixels and bytes coming unstuck.

At which point I put on my thinking cap, and suppose that each pixel is stored as the three RGB values (which it, I believe, is not, but the telephone might be doing something equivalent). RGB values in Powerpoint are in the range 0 thru 255, with 256 equal to 2^8 and so needing 8 bits. So three of them for one pixel would be a lot more than one byte. Bingo. Brain back in gear again...

No comments:

Post a Comment