Tuesday 5 July 2016

Rope 1

Last week off to London Bridge for a spot of scavenging.

Bad start in the train where the next block of seats included a very decent but very dull gentleman who burbled on the whole way to Waterloo. A curiously flat textured voice that made one think dull the moment it started up, without needing to wait for any content there might have been. I suspect he may have been something to do with missionary work in Africa.

Out to pull a Bullingdon from the top position on the ramp at Waterloo, that is to say the eastern end of Water Station 3, and so to the Hop Exchange where I was pleased to find the reel of rope illustrated, snapped outside of No.1 London Bridge. Presumably accidentally abandoned by some BT workmen (who use the stuff for pulling cables through pipes) or some such. It should last me for years, despite my penchant for playing with rope.

Onto to Borough Market where I was charged up enough to spend more on a chunk of 24-month Comté than I ever recall spending in one go before. But they were very pleasant young ladies - who could also have sold me one of their very natty looking pyramids of goats cheese, maybe two inches high. One of which could have looked very well on the dining table along with the aged port and such like. Very pretty when opened up.

Refreshed myself at the nearby Barrowboy and Banker, full of very noisy people at this time of day, suit people with just a sprinkle of workers. Lots of young and not so young people on the beano. I was reminded that while the pubs in this area might be busy, noisy and expensive, they also provided very fast service. I suppose it pays to get the money over the bar as fast as you possibly can.

The sample of cheese that I had had the girls cut off for me for refreshment in the pub was a little sweaty by the time we got to it - but I am pleased to be able to report this morning that the main chunk, packed away by then in the brown bag, was fine, no sweat at all. I will probably have some for breakfast.

I learned that the 0530 train from Tunbridge Wells was packed from the off on referendum Friday.

We discussed the possibility of using the rope as an examination question. A question which invited you, on the basis of a suitable picture, to estimate the length of rope in the reel. Setting out your assumptions, methods and so on in full. I think in my day it would have done as an A-level question, but it is of course possible that things have been dumbed down a bit in the intervening half century.

Managed to get back to Waterloo Station 2 with the rope balanced on the handlebars of the Bullingdon. Only one escape attempt, when I hit a rut down Stamford Street.

PS: interesting focus in the snap above, with an interesting rendering of the white plastic bag. No doubt a camera buff would be able to explain what is going on here.

Reference 1: http://www.barrowboy-and-banker.co.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment