Thursday 10 August 2017

Fake 3

This one being another fake involving architectural trim.

The house illustrated was probably built between the two world wars, but the chunk on the left was added quite recently, complete with the quoins introduced by wikipedia at reference 1.

A long time ago, the idea of quoins was to have some dressed stone at the corners of buildings to tie in and otherwise strengthen the rubbish stone used in between. Then, over the years, they gradually lost their structural function and became decorative, as explained by wikipedia.

In this case, the stone blocks have been faked in cement rendering, replicating the same faking elsewhere, from the time that the house was first built. In this case painted over, rather than having them in a contrasting colour, as is usual elsewhere in the road. But we all have to put our own mark on our own thing.

I was very impressed by the faking, not something that I could have managed at all, and my only quibble was with the quoins behind the down pipe, with their changing direction as one moves from ground floor to first floor. I am not yet quite sure how I, as an architect, would have handled this very real problem, given the layout, but I don't think it is quite right as it is now and I am sure I will come up with something.

Reference 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoin.

Group search key: fka.

No comments:

Post a Comment