Wednesday 23 August 2017

Heygates

Before we got to the Poppins Café noticed in the previous post, we were pleased to find that Heygates Books was still up and running at No.67. See reference 1 for our first visit. Of the two books I bought on that occasion, the history of everything was rapidly recycled, while the dictionary of Esperanto has been retained to impress susceptible visitors.

A bookshop which is part a sort of lending library for holiday paperbacks and part a second hand book shop - with more interesting stock than the front of the shop might suggest. On this occasion BH spent more than I did, picking up a nice selection of ladies' fiction. I fell for a retread of an old guide to Venice and a fat, undergraduate physics text, total £5.

I don't suppose that I shall ever visit Venice, but this small format guide appealed to me. About the size and shape of a Pevsner, written by one Giulio Lorenzetti in 1926, published by Lint of Trieste and described as a historical-artistic guide to Venice and its lagoon. Complete with a nice set of fold-out sketch maps at the back. A hundred pages of history to start, then into Pevsner-style coverage of the buildings and paintings of Venice. With the index of artists alone running to more than fifty pages. Practically without illustration by today's standards, but there is a selection of half tones. We shall see what value I get out of it.

While 'University Physics' by Harris Benson will hopefully serve to prop up my fading knowledge of physics. Intended as an introductory course for science and engineering students, my first impression is that it should serve my purposes well. A well produced, well illustrated modern text with plenty of overlap with my ancient A-level physics. Maybe I will once again get to know the difference between an electric and a magnetic field.

£20 for Venice and £7 for physics at amazon respectively, so I think I paid a fair price. Oddly, the £20 was for the hardback that I think I now now have, but amazon also offer a paperback version for more than £150. Maybe that has higher grade pictures. Or maybe it is just one of the many quirks of the amazon marketplace system.

PS: the proprietor told me that next year will be his 50th anniversary of business and he has every intention of being there. Hopefully we will make it too.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/bognor-books.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment