Tuesday 3 April 2018

Sick bay

A fine show of forsythia along the northeastern boundary of the Pound Lane school yard. Just the thing to brighten up a damp, dull morning.

This on the way back from taking Cortana, that is to say my Lumia 950 from Microsoft (who have now abandoned the telephone market) to the sick bay. That is to say the O2 shop in the Ashley Centre.

Attended to by a pleasant young man who seemed to know something about telephones, but it turned out he was just the greeter. I was invited to take a seat and wait for some real action. A seat which reminded me of waiting in a lower class gents. barber. Bustle, big screens and loud music. All very irritating. But at least I had my two phones to play with - having brought both old and new along with me.

After a while I was picked up by a pleasant young lady. However, she did not seem to know a great deal about telephones, had about 10% of her attention on my transaction, 5% on me and 85% somewhere else. Perhaps she had had a row with her mother in law or her boyfriend that morning. Or perhaps she was planning what she was going to wear for a hot date that evening. But she certainly did not have the bandwidth to deal with even the sort of low level chatter that I turn out for such occasions.

Notwithstanding, my telephone is now on the way to the menders, with its chip having been transferred to its predecessor.

Updating the story at reference 1, the story now seems to be that the old phone now works again, on the basis of one incomplete test. The calendar is reasonably up to date. The pictures at reference 2 were not working on the way home, so I was not able to admire my own blog, but they did work once I got home. OneDrive is visible, although something is wrong with the pictures section, maybe confused by it being connected to two mobile devices. OneNote is still not connected to OneNote Central, so notes on the old telephone do not make it to, for example, the laptop I am using presently. Last but not least, I can still find the special cable which I use to connect it to the real world.

Just a taster of the trials to come should it turn out that I have to leave the world of Microsoft and get a phone from some other supplier. Would it be unpatriotic to go to Huawei, rather than somewhere else on the Pacific rim? Or would I be supporting Brexit by supporting our trading links with faraway places? See references 3 and 4.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/old-phone-two.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/bun-day.html.

Reference 3: http://www.huawei.com/en/?ic_medium=direct&ic_source=surlent.

Reference 4: http://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=huawei.

No comments:

Post a Comment