Monday 3 April 2017

Cheese hunt

Stocks of Poacher were getting very low early last week, so a visit to Borough Market was indicated.

Whiled away part of the journey finding out that I did not know how to move my telephone between portrait and landscape. Rotating the phone in the horizontal plane - which one might have thought was the trick - did not seem to work at all, while rotating it in a vertical plane did work, albeit rather unreliably. Unreliably, that is, in my hands. Maybe I will while away some more time some time on trawling through some help.

Pulled a Bullingdon from position 2 on the ramp and pedalled off to the Hop Exchange.

Got to Neal's Yard Cheese to find a couple of people ahead of me in the queue who were taking a lot more time and trouble about their purchases than is my custom. And they were being indulged by the staff, as is entirely right and proper in a shop of this sort. But a pain for a person such as myself who dislikes queuing in shops. Silly really as I had nothing better to do, but there it is. Too old to do anything about it now.

As is also entirely right and proper, they made no fuss when I suggested that maybe they should wipe the cheese wire before cutting my cheese. They bother with their knives, but not usually with their wires - which resulted on some blue fluff on one face of my last piece of Poacher. The result, it seems, of some powerful blue mould cheese they had had in a couple of weeks ago.

Found a sheltered corner on the steps on Queen's Walk, outside No.1 London Bridge, to take a modest picnic, involving a lump of fresh cheese cut off the new purchase and some not-too-fresh brown bread from home. But I was clearly a little unusual as a security guard thought it necessary to come and check me out, after which, to be fair, he did say that I was welcome to carry on with my picnic.

From there to the Barrowboy and Banker (the double bee bee to cognoscenti) to wash down the picnic. Much quieter than usual for 1800. But the service is good and the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is good.

Thought about whether I was fit to cycle back and decided that I was. The road back to Waterloo was quiet and did not involve any cyclist unfriendly junctions - while the Jubilee Line is a long way down. I did, however, have to negotiate my way around a large M&S lorry pulling into Mepham Street, from which there is presumably a tunnel to the not very big M&S on the Waterloo Station concourse. Up the ramp to park my Bullingdon in the pole position, as illustrated. Bag from T.K. Maxx. A little dear but it has done very well over the last five years or so. It certainly involves some leather and might even be made of the stuff - hard to tell these days.

PS: checking up on No.1, I find that London Bridge is also more or less the terminus of the A3. While No.1 is host to a sports bar, as well as being a prestigious office building. Probably a little young for me, but I must give it a go next time I am in the area. Maybe they will let me in.

Reference 1: http://n1bar.com/.

Reference 2: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/cheese.html. Between two and three weeks earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment