Tuesday 11 April 2017

Modern science

Kings Cross is off the top of the central map I usually carry when on the Bullingdons, so for some reason, rather than carry one of the supporting maps, it seemed more convenient to photograph the relevant bit of it with the telephone. The operation taking a few seconds and producing an entirely usable picture - the point of which was to remind me where the stands were in the vicinity of Kings Place. The nearest being right next door, top middle. Not something I was going to be able to remember all the way there.

I don't think that, in the event, I made any use of the photograph. But I might have done had the good stand been full on arrival or empty on departure - which last it very nearly was.

But the slum street between York Way and the Caledonian Road where I stayed for a short while around fifty years ago appears to have vanished. A lodging which was slummy enough for me to be glad of the nearby municipal bath house. Two shillings a bath as I recall, including towel and soap. 10p in newspeak.

Group search key: kp1.

No comments:

Post a Comment