Tuesday 11 April 2017

Cows

From time to time I used to moan about the cows wandering about on Epsom Common - which I would much prefer not to be there at all. See, for example, reference 1.

Then I was reminded today that the cows are still there by a notice at the bottom of the Common Association Newsletter. Still there, and have been there for 20 years now. The impression is given of their being an important and volunteer-time-absorbing part of the association's activities. I shall continue not to attend their annual general meeting, where, had I any talent for such things, I would otherwise have been able to put in a plea on behalf of the cow-haters. I doubt whether one would have been able carry the meeting, but it would be good for the cow-lovers to be reminded of the existence of another view as they can get terribly sanctimonious about all manner of things, not just about cows. Newts, charcoal, coppicing, you name it.

Oddly, I have not walked around the common for ages, possibly not for years, preferring the Horton Clockwise to the Common Anti-clockwise. I think I got out of the habit of t his last because the activities of the chain saw gang used to make me cross. And having got out of the habit there now seems to be some invisible barrier to getting into it again. We shall see if this reminder has any effect.

Reference 1: http://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=ornithological+feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment