Friday 14 April 2017

Real bun

Prompted by the decadent offering noticed at reference 1, I got around yesterday to making the real thing. Two hot cross buns, made from a pound of flour and a variety of other ingredients, taking the weight of the raw dough to just over two pounds. More or less consumed by the two of us in two takes yesterday evening, in my case without any assistance from butter and in neither case from toasting, leaving just a stump for this morning.

Not bad at all, but the crumb was rather dark in colour and was heavier, doughier even, than its commercial relative. Just as with bread, I fail to achieve the lightness, what I call the fluffiness, of commerce. Note also the slight compaction, or failure to rise, at the bottom of the bun illustrated. Probably the same problem as the bread, but I still have no idea what it is, and the only thing I can think of is to raise the first kneading time (the one before one adds the lumps, after which kneading is not so clever) from four minutes to six minutes and the proving time from around two hours for each half to three hours, with the rising of my two buns being oddly slow, even by the standards of my bread.

There was a smaller problem with there being a lot more raisins in one bun than in the other, a mixing problem which would be mitigated by getting some small currents to replace the big raisins.That is to say, the law of large numbers should help. I associate this morning to my difficulty of getting a good sub-sample from a sample of black-top in my days as a junior materials technician. A process called quartering.

In deference to the calendar of our established church, I marked the tops of the two buns with a cross with the point of a knife just before the start of the  second rise. One of the crosses survived subsequent processing quite well, although it you would not think so from the illustration above.

No further clues offered by the ingredients list for the Sainsbury's offering, recovered from the bin. They do use various tricky ingredients like potato starch, but there is no way of telling whether any one of them is the magic raising agent. And they also use half a dozen or more oils - for example, coriander seed oil - where I used cinnamon and allspice powders, but I am not going to do that either.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/decadence.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment