Friday 26 May 2017

Blast from the past

Perusing the catalog for the Cambridge Beer Festival, among all the entries from craft beers, I was pleased to find an entry from Lacons, a brewer which was just about visible in Cambridge when I was starting my career in public houses. I remember it as a pale, rather bitter beer, but I may well be conflating it with some general purpose memory of the ale which was still real in the mid 1960's, with Red Barrel and Double Diamond then just over the horizon.

Closer inspection reveals that this Lacons is a revival, after a 45 year absence, so really a craft beer, although one with heritage. Also that Lacons was one of the many regional brewers gobbled up by Whitbread. Whom I do not knock that much as their Trophy, which gradually replaced the regional beers they had bought up, was usually a decent pint, reference 2 notwithstanding.

PS: sadly, I will not be able to make the festival this year, so I shall miss out on all the fun to be had with students (of both sexes) knocking back the amber nectar big time to celebrate the end of their exams... Maybe next year.

Reference 1: https://www.lacons.co.uk/.

Reference 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1hQdCdCP8.

No comments:

Post a Comment