Tuesday 9 May 2017

Livestock

Some ducks swimming in one of the fountains in Trafalgar Square.

Moments before I had been accosted by a well dressed foreign gentleman who said he had mistook me for some eminent friend of his. We agreed that increasing numbers of false positives was a feature of old age.

As it happened, I had another such thing yesterday evening. We were watching 'Midsomer Murders' episode called 'Down Among the Dead Men' and I became convinced that the lady playing the dodgy housekeeper was Angela Lansbury from the US version of Agatha called 'Murder She Wrote'. I was a little worried about her age being wrong, being born in the same era as FIL had been, but the thought stuck with me. Checking up afterwards, I found that actually she was Julia McKenzie, perhaps best known these days for her version of Agatha's 'Miss Marple'. So did the brain, in the course of getting this wrong, make the connection through Agatha? Apart from, as BH concedes, a certain similarity of face and hairdo.

The same episode also taught me that the most westerly outcrop of chalk in the land is to be found at Branscombe in Devon, near the famous donkey sanctuary. Far further west than I had realised and possibly connected to the twin ridges of chalk on the Isle of Wight, which we shall be visiting for the umpteenth time later this year.

PS: checking up afterwards could not have taken more than a few seconds. Google scores again, turning up, as well as lots of ITV3 memorabilia, lots of good quality geological maps and aids.

Group search key: slc.

No comments:

Post a Comment