Thursday 11 May 2017

Error

Another sort of senior moment.

I was phoned up this afternoon by some rather loud, hard-sell sounding people who told me that they had got my contact details as a result of my filling in some survey form or other - which was perfectly possible. But I was reminded of my very short spell at selling encylopedias, back at the end of the 1960's.

The purpose of the call was to tell me that I had won a free holiday at one of their splendid resorts and that all I had to do to claim it was to attend an office in Conduit Street (once the home of the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers), clutching photo id and accompanied by BH. Appointment duly made.

However, a quick google afterwards turns up all kinds of stories, mostly unkind. It seems that one does indeed get a rent-free flat in some resort or other for a week or so, but there are various catches. Like paying for your own travel, food and drink. Like paying for sundry other bits and bobs. The net result of which is that you get the same sort of deal that you otherwise have got from one of the last-minute-dot-com sites. Which is about what one might expect, but what I had overlooked is that one is also subjected to several sessions of an hour or more at which one is bombarded with information about unmissable time-share deals. No free lunch there. I wonder if they ply one with booze to help things along?

We shall see how long it takes to extricate myself from the clutches of these people. Perhaps I shall find out whether O2 can match the splendid nuisance call blocking service now offered by BT - which has got our nuisance calls down from several a week to near zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment