Thursday 11 May 2017

Waking error

A rather different sort of error, on the rather treacherous ground between being asleep and being awake.

I was doing something in MS Office, say Powerpoint. I finished doing the something and saved the file. I closed the file.

Change of scene to Windows Explorer. I was gazing at the folder containing the file that I had just closed. I seemed to know that it was a folder which was sorted by date of modification, most recent at the top.

But at the top of this folder were three files with short, rubbish names, with my file, with a proper name fourth. Which I knew was not right and not because I (or Windows) had got into a muddle with my files and folders, but rather because the brain had been a bit sloppy about building the Windows Explorer scene for me. It had included my file but had not bothered, or not got around to putting it in the right place at the top.

It seems to me now that the Windows Explorer scene was fairly sketchy. The fact of the window and the names of the four files at the top of it were clear enough. But while I am sure about that, I am not at all sure if there was anything else. The background on which the window was sitting. The ribbon at the top and the trim around the edge of the window. The other files in the folder.

Bit tricky now to be sure about the exact sequence of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment