Tuesday 30 January 2018

Footnote to perfection

Computers really will soon rule the world.

This morning's bit of evidence being the products from Neuratron (reference 1) called PhotoScore and NotateMe 8.

Using a demonstration version of the product - found, loaded, up and running in seconds - I was able to scan in a short bit of music from 'The art of music' noticed yesterday (reference 3) and play it on a virtual piano. As far as I could see its transcription from the not very good image I had given it was note perfect. It had turned an image into scored music which I could read (and edit) and it could play.

No doubt, given time, I could do all kinds of wizardry. But I shall have to pause to think whether there is not a lower tech solution to my need to play the musical examples from the book. Which, to be convenient under this first option, would really need a second copy of the book which I could take to pieces for ease of scanning, while keeping the first copy in my hand.

Option 2, activate the recorder in the roof. An instrument I could play a little, sixty years ago.

Option 3, visit Maplins.

Option 4, download one of the many piano keyboard emulators which seem to be out there on the internet, some to be paid for with money, some very fancy (reference 2) and some to be paid for with advertisements.

We shall see.

PS: pleased to see that Neuratron is a British company, based in not so far away Blackheath. We can still make stuff. Not dead yet.

Reference 1: http://www.neuratron.com/.

Reference 2: https://www.pianoteq.com/.

Reference 3: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/perfection.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment