Sunday 9 September 2018

A bad example

Many websites are spoilt for me by advertisements, with the ostensible subject of a page festooned with advertisements for something or other, often moving, sometimes talking and certainly both distracting and irritating. I would much rather that, collectively, we found some better way to pay for the ostensible subjects.

Then this morning, I happened to be wondering about the origin of the phrase 'my heart was in my mouth'. Bing turned up lots of sites with the Cambridge Dictionary, from no less an outfit that the Cambridge University Press, near the top of the list. Give it a try, to get the screen captured left, pretty much as bad as it gets.

Disappointing that such an august outfit should sink so low, with my understanding being that Cambridge University as a whole was awash with ancient and valuable endowments and should not need to. Unlike the people at reference 1.

PS: they must be in cahoots with Google and/or Microsoft, as the choice of advertisements is clearly keyed to my online activity.

Reference 1: https://plato.stanford.edu/.

No comments:

Post a Comment